Re: Venerate (saint)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:41:01 -0800

> >I'm trying to get a handle on the Hero Wars rules for sorcerous magic and
> >note that venerating a saint gets a charcter access to that saints magic
> >keyword. Unfortunately I have yet to find an example of a saint's magic
> >keyword. Can anyone point me to one?
>
> the Black Horse troop are soulless scu... erm, are sorcerous... They
> venerate St. Atrox. Therefore, the magic keywords for the Black Horse
> troop are the examples you seek.

Note that "getting access to" means that a Liturgist will cast the saint's blesings on you or on your behalf, not that a mere lay person can cast them! The Black Horse Order (HW 99) is such a "Low Order". Members of the order can have the Blessings from the _Book of Betrayal and Murder_ or _History of My Black Horse Troop_ cast on them by the Liturgists of the Order. They have a secret they can learn (Control Steed/Control Human). Without being a member of this order, you can't have the blessings of the HMBHT, nor may you learn the Control Steed secret (unless you go to Hell and learn it "the hard way" like Sir E. did...)

Basically, by joining a low order (saintly veneration) you become part of a community upon which that order's magic works. The order may (usually does) have special blessings, it may have a Secret, or other advantages (and disadvantages).

RR