Re: Venerate (saint)

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:56:27 -0600

Roderick Robertson says:

>Without being a
>member of this order, you can't have the blessings of the HMBHT, nor may you
>learn the Control Steed secret (unless you go to Hell and learn it "the hard
>way" like Sir E. did...)
>
>Basically, by joining a low order (saintly veneration) you become part of a
>community upon which that order's magic works. The order may (usually does)
>have special blessings, it may have a Secret, or other advantages (and
>disadvantages).

        Am I understanding this correctly? A follower of Orlanth, for example, cannot benefit from a "Sharpen Sword" blessing (assuming he was profane enough to dabble in evil, souless magic)? If so, can curses affect non-sect members? Other Malkioni? Theists? I understand that only worshippers of whatever school of whatever magical worldview can learn and cast spells (feats, whatever), but surely those users can cast their magic on whoever will sit still for it? Otherwise, the Kolating shaman is even more marginalized before....

Peter Larsen