Re: Venerate (saint)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:52:11 -0800

> >Basically, by joining a low order (saintly veneration) you become part of
> >community upon which that order's magic works. The order may (usually
does)
> >have special blessings, it may have a Secret, or other advantages (and
> >disadvantages).
>
> Am I understanding this correctly? A follower of Orlanth, for example,
> cannot benefit from a "Sharpen Sword" blessing (assuming he was profane
> enough to dabble in evil, souless magic)?

He'll need to be part of the "congregation" of the Liturgist to recieve it (yes, you can have a congregation of 1), which means that he has to participate in some sort of worship service. A warped orlanthi willing to ask for such a blessing would have a stain on his soul (basically, give him a nasty negative mod on his his feat/affinity rolls until he is ritually cleansed). He'll probably have a vists from Manmolanings, and a truely nasty narrator will charge him double HP for Affinity raises until cleansed.

There will be rules for Theists using fetishes in ST, you can probably extrapolate similar results from Theists with blessings from it.

> If so, can curses affect non-sect
> members? Other Malkioni? Theists? I understand that only worshippers of
> whatever school of whatever magical worldview can learn and cast spells
> (feats, whatever), but surely those users can cast their magic on whoever
> will sit still for it? Otherwise, the Kolating shaman is even more
> marginalized before....

*Blessings* are something a person wants, and is good for him or her. They are usually cast on the congregation (or the congregation's fields or herds or ship or weapons or...)

*Curses* are another thing entirely. Unless there is a *really* tweaked reason, a curse is never cast on the congregation, it is cast on the congregation's enemies and does bad things to them.

There is a vast difference between participating in a ceremony (of whatever magic type) to recieve benefits, and being on the recieving end of hostile magic.

RR