Re: Re: Venerate (saint ) and Chalana Arroy

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:45:29 -0800

> If you don't mind my questions getting even more pointed, how does this
affect Chalana Arroy?

> For some reason back in RQIII days CA worshippers used to be able to
become sorcerers without any penalty, as long as they were pacifist sorcerers.

Well, we've come a way since then; healers were allowed to become Shamans too. Gods of Glorantha is 15 years old, and a lot of concepts have crystallized/materialiezed since 1985.

> And believe it or not, I've got a sorcery-dabbling White Healer in my
Pavis game.

How did she get so? Sorcery isn't something you "just pick up", you have to be trained. If she was trained, then there is at least one, but probably more, people who do this wierd version of CA. It may be that these are Henotheists, or a (very) minor subcult of CA that actually worship her with sacrifice but get a grimoire instead of feats (there will be a subcult of Lhankor Mhy that does this in ST).

> I've been running the sorcery fears as culturally based rather than deity
based, with the need to keep sorcerous activities secret from the Most Merciful High Priestess of the Pavis temple, but not having to worry about hiding it from CA herself in worship ceremonies.

There are definitely problems in participating in the wrong kind of worship service. A theist actively participating in a Veneration or Ecstatic service is doing things wrong, and won't get the full benefit of the service. In addition, he's screwing up his own theistic magic. It's like putting "dry-clean only" clothes in a regular washer & dryer - yeah, they'll get clean, but they won't be the same...

Now, does this mean that you have to drop your Sorcerous healer? No, not at all. Assuming you don't want to hit the player with negative mods or 2x HP for raises all the time, you can invent a sorcerous version of CA - St. Chalan is already out there iirc, or the above-mentioned subcult. However, you'll have to do the legwork on it yourself, I know it's not in the current version of CA that will be in ST. Or, of course, ignore the rules :-)

RR