Re: Venerate (saint)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:10:15 -0800

> >There is a vast difference between participating in a ceremony (of
whatever
> >magic type) to recieve benefits, and being on the recieving end of
hostile
> >magic.
>
> I'm not so sure about this -- the "process" is essentially the same. If
> blessings cannot (rather than should not) be cast outside the
congregation,
> why should curses? The benefit of the congregation, in my opinion, would
be
> the extra power it would give the liturgist (to overcome multiple target
> penalties, get a better result, etc.)

Somehow I think we having two different conversations.

Curses are different from Blessings - they are meant to be cast on an enemy. They are a projection of "bad" magic at a certain target. Yes, the congregation is adding it's will to the Liturgists (giving him Extraordinary support, in other words, which, as you note, help him overcome range/target penalties). The game mechanics of blesses and curses are pretty much the same, but there are differences, such as Blessings not having Number of Target mods (Curses do).

> Wulf Corbett says:
>
> >restriction is not, I believe, 'you can't have the blessing because it
> >won't work', but rather 'you can't have the blessing because you are a
> >foul unholy barbarian and I hate you'... Otherwise, curses become
> >useless...
>
> This seems more to the point; it's not like an Orlanthi couldn't sneak
> into a worship service, but the process of doing so would contaminate him
> and piss off the congregation (maybe screw up their worship). It is
> probably not worth the trouble.... I suspect a liturgist who knowingly
> casts blessings on the dubious likes on some syncratic Orlanthi would also
> begin to suffer for his backsliding -- minuses on grimoire skills, etc.
> (and, perhaps, get visits from the highers-up). This makes the prohibition
> ritual and social, rather than game mechanical.

"...minuses on Grimoire skills" is non-game-mechanical? huh?

Liturgical magic (which is what we've been discussing, Wizardly magic is outside this discussion) is meant to be community/congregation based. Good stuff happens to the congregation, bad stuff happens to their foes. There are some prayers for blessings for people not immediately in the congregation during the service ("And now a prayer for our boys at the front", "A special prayer for the King"), but for the most part if you want the blessing, you have to join the worship service.

RR