Re: Re: The Dundealos

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <janjero_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:23:21 +0100

Myself:

>I argue that someone, probably Fazzur made a strategic error by allowing an
>entire section of the tribe to be exiled or to flee in Prax, where they
>already had contacts among the Poljoni!

Jonas:
How's he gonna stop them? Sure the Lunar soldiery can raze every stead and confiscate every cow they come across, but how would they prevent refugee Orlanthi from dispersing into the countryside and making their way anywhere they please (except north, perhaps)? I don't think they have enough troops to blockade the Praxian border...

Maybe I uncorrectly assume that the fleeing section of the tribe was composed also of children and women. I doubt such a refugee band could outrun a determined military pursue, even with mobility affinity. If the section fleeing to Prax (on the other side) is composed largely of men (those escaped from the battle, those who didn't convert and those who didn't choose to flee South, i.e. the best road for the warriors who desire to fight again) *gasp, taking breath*
they probably could evade the pursuers, even in winter, but they would need anyway a big luck, IMO, or an intervention from their cousin nomads on the vanguard of the Lunars, but such an action is not described anywhere AFAIK. I still believe the Lunar error (intentional or unintentional) interpretation the most likely, even if not the only possible

Jonas:
Besides, I'm not sure this is a fight that Fazzur wanted in the first place or handled personally once it erupted. I think he had bigger things on his mind.

Me too. But he is responsible, as the senior commander, in the eyes of the Overseer, even if the actual responsibility is not his.

Ciao
Gian

P.S. I also suspect that Greg's answer to my proposal was a subtle (?) example of the never-block-rule so succesfully described by Roderick in the rulesbook. He (our beloved First Mover Greg) doesn't suggest that Fazzur had a plan or that he hadn't. He simply pushes (yes, my choice of verb is intentional) us to partecipate in the creation. He is not answering, he is playing! Devious, isn't it?
"Plays within plays within plays", paraphrasing Frank Herbert. ;-)