Re: Subject: Malkioni conversion

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:54:29 -0000

One thing I've slowly begun to absorb about veneration is that it has one huge advantage for the "everyman." _You_ don't have to be any good at all at magic to gain potentiall potent blessings. You only have to invest 10% of your time and resources, and never really have to bother learning much beyond the basic service, and yet you regularly gain bonuses as big, or bigger, than most normal theistic worshippers will ever see.

So if you are theistic or anamist and switch to veneration, you may lose some magic, but it seems to me that your typical theistic worshipper's magic won't be all that high anyway. If you have an affinity of even 17 you have a score of 14 for getting anything, which makes getting even +1/^2 a fairly chancy business. Give it up, venerate a saint, and you will probably get blessings at least that large, if not larger, on a regular basis with almost no chance of failure (assuming a competent liturgist and a decent sized congregation).

A *lot* of people would find that a sure thing, with someone else doing all the hard stuff, would be a fair trade off for not having the flexibility of affinities. Sure, the more pious and more heroic wouldn't be apt to change (for philosophical reasons, but also because they are apt to have stronger magic that they would lose), but they aren't usually the ones raising the next generation.....I'm beginning to understand how St. Aeolus has been so succesful even if it is misapplied worship.

--Bryan