Re: Heortling Mills

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:11:16 -0800

At 04:33 PM 3/16/2001 -0000, you wrote:
>TR mentions a mill as one of the buildings on 'your stead'
<snip>
>Such an investment would more likly occur on a clan level IMO

Yes, I think more at the clan level too. A primary function of the clan is of food storage and redistribution. This assures its members get equivalent food each year. The clan mill is an appropirate place for this.

>But I'm more inclined to think of each hearth (or woman) having their own
>quern and perhaps the mill mentioned being an larger animal powered
>affair or thrall powered for building up the muscles on those Conan
>types :)

I actually have a lot of trouble rejecting the idea that Orlanthi have wind mills.

>Watermills would be a dubious foreign idea possibly upsetting the local
>stream nymphs and plagued with gremlins. (See TotRM#19)
Alternately these might be allowed to ONLY cult members of stream nuymphs, etc.

>Of course luner settlers/converts may be quicker to take advantage of
>the possibilities

They have different methods too, saddled with their own myths and social realities. But we can be sure that someplace along The River somone is planning to dig irrigation ditches and plant rice. We know the River rites of the Oslira are different from those of the Engizzi.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>