Re: Re: How big is a Tula

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 14:20:14 +1000

When is a tula not a tula? I note that Ormalaya the Deep Hunter's lodge is on the edge of the tula (TR 225), suggesting that his wilderness hunting lands are *not* counted as part of a clan's tula. Now obviously, we'll need to see the full write-ups of Odayla and Yinkin before making any final decision, but at present I'm working on the assumption that their hunting grounds *are* - that they have a special knowledge of both the geography, ecology and mythology of the lands they range across, and a ritual relationship with the daimones who dwell there.

If the above holds true, and if your clan has a substantial number of hunters, expect to expand your tula size by up to an order of magnitude. My wilderness Tovtaros clans average 20-30% Odaylans. The richest, most pristine ecosystems might support up to 4 people per square mile from hunting and gathering for part of the year, but one person per four square miles is more typical (the range of variation is enormous, as are the number of variables that determine it. Remember too that most hunting bands move to exploit different micro-environments at different times of the year. The same goes for sheep-herding clans, who will exploit summer grasses in upland meadows during late sea and fire season.

If the above doesn't hold true, then your clan may have to substantially exploit lands that lie *beyond* your tula.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                      John Hughes

The hills of Largertarn
Midst the storms of Ohorlanth
Are two silver horns,
Two breasts childing,