Re: Aranwyth origins

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:27:54 -0000

> I assume that the word 'transhumance' has something to
> do with human movement, and is another word for
> semi-nomadic. Is that correct?

Trnashumance is the movement of livestock (and the humans herding/tending/miking those livestock) into seasonal pasturage. Generally associated with the movement into upland seasonal pasturage but may also be associated with latitudanal changes.

Try:
http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/1/0,5716,75111+1+73200,00.ht ml?query=transhumance

though the page may not still be valid in which case just search britannica for 'transhumance'.

I also refer to transhumance practices in my cattle raiding material on the web site.

Shielings is a term for the temporary settlements associated with transhumance tha may be familiar to you.

Ian