Re: Windmills

From: markmohrfield_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:12:20 -0000

Chris Brown
> I'd forgotten the windmill at Old Wind Temple on the DP board & I
> agree windmills whirling away on hilltops are somewhat appealing
> but I'm not convinced the Heortlings are that advanced technically.
> Sure there were plenty of windmills in the middle ages but I like my
> hill barbarians firmly in the dark ages :)

Ian Hammond
>So the technology behind windmills does not seem byeond the
>Heortlings. OK so that 'Dutch' windmill from the DP illustration is
>probably a bit off - tower windmills are probably a kingdom of
.Malkonwal innovation in DP, they are listed as 1420 - but post-
>windmills or, if gears are too 'high'tech' for your heortlings, a
>horizontal windmill are quite possible (just replace the oxen with
>cloth sails) do look technically possible.

Some have suggested that the Second Age(and Second Age Gloranthans in general) Orlanthi were more advanced than their modern descendents. Perhaps the tower Windmills are a part of the technology which somehow survived. Maybe some Lhankor Mhy sect preserved the secret, or maybe the temple itself dates from that period.

Chris Brown
> Actually chaining the wind for work would sound somewhat evil to
your
> typical smelly traditionalist orlanthi though.

Remember the What My Father Told Me section of the old Glorantha: Genertela, Crucible of the Hero Wars supplement, "Every man plows, or wishes to, or works for those that do. Even Orlanth plows." Farm work isn't seen as dishonorable by the Orlanthi.

                                      Mark Mohrfield