Re: number of kids in an initiation

From: Jeffrey Zahari <jeff_zahari_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:42:04 +1100

(John Hughes writes about mass initiation)

A real-world society practising these initiations is the Masai of East Africa. They hold huge ceremonies every few years involving hundreds of young men. As I understand it there is a period in which the young initiates-to-be wander around as 'moran' (young warriors), before settling down to adult responsibilities.

A children's book I have often borne in mind for initiation customs is 'Warrior Scarlet' by R. Sutcliffe. In this the boys (proto-Celts) come to their clan's Boy's House; spending a couple of years training before their final test--to kill a wolf by themselves.