Re: Thundermills was Windmills

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:43:40 -0000

Roland:
>Note that I am in no way saying that Orlanth Thunderous has no
> place in the Mill; Ohorlanth and his daimones are needed to make
>the whole thing work. I just think the job of *miller* will fall
>into Orlanth Allfather...

I agree that TR seems to group most of the 'social' aspects under Allfather. So the evidence for your position is strong.

However creativity is often founded in the interplay of ideas, so in a positive, not flaming, spirit I'll continue to put forward a different position to see if we cannot inspire each other or provide alternatives for anyone who wishes to see windmills in the their games.

Everyone else's mileage will certainly vary ;)

My Thunderous suggestion comes from a number of factors

  1. The Wind Temple. The Wind Temple is shown on the Dragon Pass map as a windmill. Stylistic it may be, but the image was sufficient to inspire us on this windmill thread. And TR makes that a Thunderous cult centre. Therefore in a leap of one small piece of evidence to a whole I assume that windmills are particulalry sacred to Orlanth Thunderous.
  2. Thunderous is said to be worshipped by farmers as well as warriors - but there does not seem to be a suitable subcult for farmers. We could assume we need to use an Allfather subcult with Thunderous aspect. In which case mills could be the sacred to: Orstan the Carpenter, or a new Allfather cult - Hiorl the Preparer(?) when worshipped with the Thunderous aspect (explaining their rarity). Or we need to create new Thunderous subcults for those farmboys. One of which is: Hiorl the Grinding Wind(?). Or we need to add it to an existing one, showing that the martial side of the subcult is not everything...
  3. And the Hedkoranth suggestion came from following the logic of thunderstones. Showing why Hedkoranth grinds corn could be tricky, but IMO sometimes better stuff comes from being challenged to explain the tricky. I thought I would have a stab (drawing on Bryan's myth outline).

Ian Cooper