Re: Re: Thundermills was Windmills

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:03:24 -0600

Jeff Kyer says:

>While the ferilizing rains are useful to the farmer, the main
>interest of the Thunderous aspect is just that: Thunder, Wind,
>Lightning, Storm, Air. All that roiling and untrammeled power of
>Orlanth.

        Here I've always thought about Thunderous as the elemental side of Orlanth -- which includes his fecundity and fertility (Niskis is, after all, about being a lover, not a procreator, and Allfather is really concerned with the post-begetting fatherhood elements).

>I'd say that the miller's subcult probably more related to Allfather,
>which has the Providers and the like -- but I could also make a case
>that its actually a clan-god or clan-subcult (Like the Argan Argar Rex
>subccult amongst the Torkani) which really doesn't figure into the
>more main-stream mythology.

        Maybe the subcult belongs "properly" in (for the sake of argument) Thunderous, but some (or many) clans worship the subcult as part of Allfather, especially the clans who are more settled and focus on Allfather's stability and responsibility. Or, if you'd rather, it's an Allfather subcult worshiped as part of Thunderous where that aspect is particularly powerful (because of the scared whirlygig connection). The two "sects" sometimes come to blows because, while Miller Allfather will build and maintain watermills (with the appropriate "marriage" to the stream), Miller Thunderous considers wind the only sacred power. Perhaps they live close by each other and struggle through a holy shouting match every Sacred Time: "Wind Power!" "Water Power!" "Wind Power!" "Water Power!" Eventually night falls, and everyone gets drunk (or the Ernaldans go home in disgust.)

Peter Larsen