Leaving the hero plane

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:26:11 -0600

Moved from hw-rules

Jeff Kyer says to

me:
>> Bringing something back from a heroquest strikes me as
>unusual, almost by
>
>I agree. But some quests do result in you bringing back an item of
>some sort. The Plundering of Aron probably results in it. OR going
>into the underworld and brining back a prisoner in the Lunar Hells...

        Oh yes, but these aren't the sort of "well-worn" heroquests we were talking about.

>I think visiting the thunderbrothers is a part of it (you find out
>what god you're call too) but making a quick trip into the Northfaring
>or a trip to the Black Isle of Introspection might be very stupid --
>unless you have decided to do a heroquest on the High Holy Day. Its
>not unlikely that heroes WOULD do that, as its very auspicious.

        Unless that would tie the clan into extraordinary support of the heroquesters; maybe there's a ritual to sever questers from support once they are there ("Orlanth's Leavetaking" or some such).

>But I think your're right: for an newly initated youngster it would
>be suicide. It would one reason to explain why people don't come back
>from their initation -- they are tempted and loose the path.

        Maybe that's one source for new daimons -- children (and even adults) who identify too closely with a myth and lose their way and identity.

>> the Heortling who returns from initiation with something is, no
>doubt,
>> destined for glory.
>
>Like, say, Harmast? =) He went very, very deep into the Godplane
>apparently and met the Great God and his wife during it.

        Yes. Of course, glory doesn't mean you are going to have a happy or long life.... I think the clan would be both elated and scared if young Torvald reports that Orlanth actually spoke to him. Something is clearly going to happen, but what?

Peter Larsen