Re: Mahome

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:30:05 +1000

Mikko and Peter M have been discussing Mahome.

Mikko:

>Am I somehow taking the TR writeup too literally?

Well there are probably as many answers to this as there are visions of Glorantha. HW has been presenting information fairly 'objectively', a very different approach from the 'subjective sources' approach of works like KOS.

I still see a lot of room for variation and different emphasis.

I personally don't see Orlanthi as having particular hangups about how religious concepts are expressed. They're used to variations in myth and cult between tribes, They're used to different heroquest stories, even if they learn over time that some are more efficacious than others. Since their religious system is based on praxis rather than doxis, and since their view of the world is mythic rather than reductionist, then Mahome really *can* be six impossibly different things before breakfast (as long as the myths explain why), day and night can be explained half a dozen different ways (all correct), and Vinga can be both a mortal hero and a goddess in different regions.

Aspects merge, different attributes and identities are emphasised over time, gods and goddesses seem to merge or split in the popular tales which then becomes reflected in ceremony.

This is not to say that everything is true, or that alternative explanations can't be tested or disproved. It does mean that if your ceremonies *work*, then of course what you believe is true.

Cheers

John

BTW, I made a short response on the list this morning that was quite inappropriate, and I apologise wholeheartedly to all concerned.

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

I am the terror that flaps in the night... I am the batteries that aren't included
I am the Heimlich maneuver for the choking victims of crime I am the beaked hero that every culture needs I am the low point in your sine wave
I am the plot twist in the second reel
I am the one hundred and one word character narrative I am the substantial and inescapable penalty for early withdrawal I am the super nova at the center of the dark universe I am the tube of cadmium yellow that's impossible to open I am DARKWING DUCK!