Re: Berserk Kinslaying

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:01:28 -0000

> > If somebody under the influence of the berserk spell accidently
> > kills a fellow clan member, would they have committed a crime,
> > if so what would the normal punishment be.
> >
> > If they have not committed a crime, why not?
>
> IMG, yes, most certainly. Uroxi and humakti cultists are
> responsible before the law, same as everyone else. In humakt's
> case, it is not the bloodline brought before the courts, but the
> local cult itself.

IMO... If the Humakti has severed his(her) relationship with his kin then it is not kinslaying and is dealt with in the courts.

In the case of an Uroxi or non-severed Humakti that has slain a member of their own bloodline then it is Kinslaying, not a matter for the courts.

Note that I am careful to separate fellow clansmen from fellow members of the bloodline. Slaying a fellow clansman that is not a fellow member of the bloodline can be dealt with in the courts/legal process within a clan. It is still very painful - they all have to live with one-another afterwards.

Kinslaying is the ultimate Orlanthi disaster (at least, it was before the Lunars came) that lets cracks the natural order and lets chaos ooze in. Courts cannot deal with this.

I suspect that, if it were accidental, the perpetrator would call in all his favours and give up all of his wealth to try to get his(her) kin back and desperately hope that the rest of the bloodline would support him, which, in the "normal" situation, they would.

If it were deliberate then disasters start striking immediately. The bloodline would lose status in the clan and tribe - who would wish to deal with a bloodline of kinslayers. And then the cattle start growing tentacles...

regards,
Charles