Re: Re: Just a thought

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:16:31 -0500

At 09:16 PM 03/27/2001 +0000, Jeff wrote:
>But I admit that the movement from Ernalda to TKT/Asrelia WILL result
>in a loss of magic as the affinities they have managed to build up
>will be reduced to a mere 12 from whatever they had previously.

I'm in the "there are plenty of Ernaldans who don't move to Asrelia or TKT" camp myself, but within the rules and the spirit of the women's initiation, I can see two reasons not to knock the Ernaldan's magic down so low:

  1. First the in-story reason: the secret of the Ernalda initiation is that the form is not the goddess ... (TR, p. 60). Vinga is an aspect of Orlanth (or was in HW:RiG) and I see Asrelia and TKT as aspects of the goddess. Therefore, movement in a normal cultic progression may not leave the goddess and not be subject to loss of all magic and ability levels. Changing to another goddess entirely, like Chalanna Arroy, is the type of thing that would cause the stripping of power.
  2. Now for the rules: Devotees would be subject to divine retribution (TR,
  3. 70) if they left Ernalda for Asrelia or TKT (and that's if they haven't learned the secret). I don't think this happens. I think it is more like changing aspects of the goddess, as described on TR, p. 71.
  4. Other rules: If you decide (or Issaries decides for you) that Asrelia and TKT are separate goddesses, then the rules on TR, p. 72 don't mention the divine retribution and indicate dropping abilities to 12.

I favor Asrelia and TKT being part of the goddess, with formerly foreign (CA) or sufficiently different (Vinga) goddesses being the ones that merit the extreme loss of abilities.

Thanks,
Andy