RE: Re: Just a thought

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:08:28 -0600

Nick Brooke says:
>Peter Larsen wrote:
>
>> The large number (especially after TR) of women with healing powers (plus
>> those Chalana Arroy worshippers running around) means that infant
>mortality
>> is going to be considerably lower than it was in the RW.
>
>Perhaps you overlook the impact of magically-enhanced infant-killing events?
>Gloranthan magic gives and takes? Yes, Chalana Arroy healers can cure
>disease; remember, though, that disease has its own patron deity, its own
>worshippers, and its own magical ecology -- which can thwart Chalana Arroy
>healers' best attempts.

        Yes, but we now have most unmarried Heortling women with some healing ability. Even with more deadly diseases, I think the avergae death rate will be lower among the Heortlings than in a similar RW society. Besides, I don't think people are going to want to imagine their Heortlings and dirty, lice-ridden, stinking, scabby, diseased creatures (even if it's true, despite the best attemps of hard-working Seven Mothers missionaries "Artemex, the only thing they use their streams for is mills; they say washing upsets the river daimons. Honestly, Artemex, what's a missionary to do...").

Peter Larsen