Re: Re: Just a thought

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:55:59 -0600

John Hughes says:

>However my main reason for believing this is MONOGAMY - after
>thousands of years of such warfare (where 85% of participants are men) there
>is no evidence of polygyny - men taking more than one wife - which would
>exist if warfare routinely killed off more men than women. This is one of
>those arguments that can branch in all directions - women may die in
>childbirth frr instance, so let me just register it as an observation.

        Well, there could be a lot of quick "graduations" into Ernalda the Crone.

>Or is this balanced by the non-producing women
>> (Vinga, the various Gors, etc.)?
>
>Vinga is many things - beloved goddess, aspect of Orlanth, and gateway for
>all women into the cults of the Wind Lord. Many vingans are leaders,
>lawspeakers.... and mothers. Restrictions on fertility only apply to one
>subcult of Vinga. More in ST.

        Woops. Darned this English. I meant "producing" in the sense of "doing useful economic work around the house," as opposed to "producing children." Women aren't drawn to Vinga to be farmers, I think. Their calling is likely to be useful to the clan, but as warriors, leaders, scouts, lawspeakers, god-talkers, etc. Gors scorn chores.

Peter Larsen