Kraloreli Terrestrial and Heavenly Beuraucracy

From: Russell Hoyle <rsimonh_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:50:44 +0800

Hiya Folks,

Inspired by 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', I have been reading (& rereading) the chapter in Glorantha:Intro to the Hero Wars. I am having trouble understanding the religious and political (they seem to mirror eachother) hierarchies of Kralorela.

Starting with the Dragons and Gods.
I read with interest that the Dragons made the gods of Kralorela to teach the people how to live.
Does everyone worship gods? Or is it just peasants? By sacrifice? It seems from reading the section on Religion in Kralorela (GIttHW boxed text p188 - 192)

Does everyone worship the Emperor? Directly by sacrifice? Indirectly through the Gods, or is it something to do with constituted dragons? [see below] Are some of the Dragons (eg Vayobi, the Dragon of War) worshipped by sacrifice?

I really don't get the 'dragons' bit (page 183, para 5 GIttHW): "The exarch is responsible for constituting a portion of his constituents' Imperial Adorations into dragon"
Is this some sort of veneration?
This [Constituted] 'dragon' referred to, is it a bit like a big (Kraloreli style) 'wyter' or is it referring in actuality to the Exarch himself? Is it some independent manifestation that is disposed to doing the will of the exarch or those in his domain?
The circle of Infinite Power places these Constituted dragons into the Imperial Dragon.
Is the Imperial Dragon the actual Emperor, or is it (as I suspect) some manifestation of collective dragon-ness? Does this mean that annually the Exarches are weakened? Is this to prevent them hoarding power (like that fellow who rules Ignorance) and feudin'?

Speaking of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' I was very impressed by that sub-story involving Lo the bandit. The scenery and tribal accoutrements suggested Pentan very strongly to me.
What do other's think?

Rusty