Re: Kraloreli Terrestrial and Heavenly Beuraucracy

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:21:02 +1200

At 16:35 29/03/01 +0800, you wrote:

>Just like in the other big empire...there are
>animists, theists and a few sorcerors and mystics?

Yes.

>I meant how is it organised. How do I (as an
>outsider) know who does what sort of worship to whom?

Everybody worships the Emperor.

The gods that most people worship are determined by ancient traditions (starting with Aptanace the Sage). Brushmen and calligraphers worship Alou the Burshman, Irrigators and Ditch-diggers worship Julang Hombondol, Rice farmers worship Miyo and so forth.

> > >Does everyone worship the Emperor?
> >
> > Yes. The Imperial Adorations mentioned on the Glorantha: Intro p183.

>Does this occur in Temples? Or is it a more private affair?

The worship occurs in most Kralori communities from the smallest villages (where the headmen leads his villagers to kowtow before a crude statue of Godunya in the village centre) to the magnificent temples in the cities. The draconists also worship Godunya but their "worship" is actually through the study of their school's mysteries (which connects to Godunya via the circle of infinite power).

>Of the 4 magical
>systems, what sort of worship is this?

I suppose it depends on what the worshipper does for his day gods.

> > >Are some of the Dragons (eg Vayobi, the Dragon of War) worshipped by
> > >sacrifice?

> > No.

>What worship do the soldiers engage in (for example)?

The ordinary gods pertaining to their fighting style. Marines worship the Orca spirit (making them Orcish Marines), Rocketeers worship Cho the Rocketeer, Crossbowmen worship some crossbow god and so forth. Plus there are the Immanent Masters.

>I know they arent all mystics.

That's correct.

>Do they worship the Emperor, and so constitute a dragon for the Exarch of
>the Army/Navy?

Yes. The War Dragon is the constituted dragon of the soldiers in that army.

>How is this modeled in HW?

Constituted dragons aren't manifested as their constituencies aren't sufficiently enlightened. What happens instead is that the sleeping dragon has a set of abilities that can be manifested by its worshippers. This power can be adapted from the HW Heroform rules IMO.

For example, a Talon knows how to manifest the claw of his dragon. Using the Green Dragon as an example this might be Claw 8W5^8. He then tries to realize the claw (using the incarnation rules in HW:NB p51)

>What do people actually "do" to generate (or feed) such a communal spirit?

Worship the Emperor.

--Peter Metcalfe