[Q] - pdf's for sale on the web?

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:12:33 +0100

In message Digest Number 377, writes

>> How about posting them in a nice PDF format on the Issaries website?
>(Like
>>the Far Point material) If people want, they can print them, stick
>>cardstock covers on it ,and have a reasonable "rules booklet." The PDF
>>could be removed when the rules get a fully "commercial" publishing. Would
>>this hurt sales of a later book?
>
>Would you pay for this?
>Whatever else you say on this list, please do send me this quiz, answered,
>to greg_at_..., with [Q] in the subject line.

I would prefer not to have to buy downloads from the web, (although I am happy to buy stuff in fanzines). Which, I realise does sound contradictory to my previous statement, so I'll try and explain.

In order to buy downloads, I'm pretty much going to have to use my Credit Card, which is my least favourite method of paying for anything. To do so from Issaries further more means I'm going to have to do so in US Dollars - Not my favourite currency, which means I'm going to be guessing the "real cost" in sterling when I decide to make the purchase.

If what I'm buying is material I might want to refer to during a game I'm going to need a hardcopy of it - my printer only prints on one side of the paper, so it's either single sided copies or lots of fiddling and finger crossing to get double sided copies (I know it's easy in theory - although I don't think Acrobat Reader 3 had an option to print just Odd or Even pages - But I also have a rule of thumb that says nothing to do with printers is ever easy in practice!). Then of course the page will be laid out & optimised for a US sized page (and maybe US Style binders). Acrobat usually manages to cope with "Shrink to fit", but any problems are an extra annoyance on anything you've paid for rather than a "free download"

Finally, Loose sheets of paper, or paper in a 2/3/4 ring binder are just more awkward to store and keep together than a book or fanzine.

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_...                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |