Re: Re: Just a thought

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:05:14 +0100

markmohrfield_at_... wrote:
> As Jeffrey Kyer pointed out, its going to be rather more than that. I
> think that we sometimes forget just how violent preindustrial
> societies are. In David Brin's "A Transparent Society" he mentions
> that "some researchers estimate between 20 to 30 percent of males in
> preindustrial societies died at the hands of other males."

The book 'War before Civilization' shows figures for violent deaths (in war) for modern and 'primitive' societies; his case seems (to me, a non anthropologist) more convincing than 'some researchers estimate between 20 to 30 percent'. I stand by my assertion: murder, including death in war, is an uncommon cause of death.

I'd like to hear John Hughes' opinion on this, as he is our resident anthropologist.

Hmm, is it time to take this to the Glorantha Digest?