Re: Re: Illumination

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:09:06 -0700

I thought for sure that my opinion on this has appeared in print.

At 12:14 PM 4/3/2001 -0800, you wrote:
Peter said
>> Illumination is an incomplete form of Awakening.
this is the most correct statement.

Illumination, as itwas inthe old RQ rules (ie- "instant" acquisiton of mysterious cultic immunity through riddling) was a fragmentary view of it. It isn't about anything that you think or learn, it is an experience of the mystical moment. most people spend several lives preparing for it because it is such an event that an untrained mind can not cope with it. You get the powers without the ability to control them. The result is almost always that amoral exploitation that we saw minimaxers using in RQ. Illumination by way of riddles is a bad thing, even for mystics, unless they have mastered the entire program for it.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>