RE: [hw-rules] Re: Geas-breaker

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:15:43 +0100

On Wednesday, April 04, 2001 3:21 PM, Jeff [SMTP:jeff.kyer_at_...] wrote:

> If someone had a geas "never to fight a god-talker in his house," and
> you fired an arrow in through the window, that's fine. But if you do
> so much as raise a hand to him in his home... its time for penalties.
> (There's a wonderful writeup on how geases work in Irish myth in
> 'Pagan Shore' which I'm very fond of!)

There's another really good one in GURPS Celtic Myth, with tips for the GM on how to foreshadow/scare players into thinking their geasa are about to come home to roost.

> And tricking someone into breaking a powerful geas is just _so_
> spiritually satisfying...

Llew Llaw Gyffes was tricked into revealing his geas so he could be "helped to avoid breaking it". Naturally, precisely the opposite happened, and he died. :)

>From a story point of view, I'm very much of the feeling that, especially for a
Devotee or Disciple of Humakt, breaking a geas should result in death. Eventually. When it makes a fun story. I'm playing a Humakti at the moment, and although we're all trying to keep him alive at the moment, I do think his story *must* end with his death. I've given the issue some thought, and I am planning to have him break a geas to bring it about. :)

Regards,

Bruce