Re: Henotheism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 19:38:32 +1200

Ian Cooper wrote:

>While we are on the missapplied worship topic - is the henotheist
>church - misapplied theistic worship of the Invisible God (coupled
>with correct theistic worhip of Orlanth et al.), or veneration of
>theistic entities a la the Aeolian church.

If you are speaking about the actual Henotheist church of Otkorion, then I think it's sacrificial worship to the Invisible God (like the extinct Zabandan heresy - see today's Myth of the Month). Thus the nearby Orlanthi can easily join as they don't have to change their magical traditions (and this is one reason for the Henotheist's current success - the other is that they were Malkioni and thus immune to a large array of Gavosti Pagan-tapping spells).

Yes, the rules do say (HW:RiG p247) that it yields nothing but I'm thinking that's what happens if you sacrificed to any of the listed entities (Malkion, Invisible God, Zzabur) and that Zabandan is/was a special case.

--Peter Metcalfe