RE: Conversion

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:27:40 +0200

>Much has been made of hostility to the Lunars for their converting zeal.
>However, I have some difficulty visualising how this happens in an
>environment in which god-talkers and others fairly routinely manifest
>representations of their deity. Seeing as there is no doubt here, the
>gambit about which is the "true" god does not seem relevant, so what kind of
>argument do the 7 Mothers advance?

Power. The Red Goddess has defeated Orlanth, hence Orlanth is weaker than the Red Goddess. Heortlings don't worship losers, now do they?

IMG this argument works because heortlings worship mostly on the basis of "do ut des"; they trade sacrifice for magical powers. Belief doesn't enter into it much (though tradition does).

>Or is it more a case of mystic bribery, more or less - we can teach you
>feat/secret XXX or YYY if only you will do ZZZ? Or perhaps less mystic and
>more material bribery or threat?

That too.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]