[hw-rules] Re: Geas-breaker

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 13:32:11 -0000

You don't get to pick and choose your geas when you get your gift, sorry. If you want the gift 'Unstoppable Sword Fury' (+20 to sword combat) you must take 'Never turn your face away from the enemy.' And I can think of many ways to bollix that up.

Or, as was pointed out by someone else -- if your geas is never strike a man from behind.

The more powerful the gift, the more restrictive the geas. The household of death were a bunch of utterly devoted Humakti who took incredibly powerful geases in exchange for gifts that no sane Heortling will take -- normally. With Great Gifts come Great Geases.

And, sadly, you're mistaking the god for the man. The gods are relatively inflexible in their bargains. No one ever thinks they will break a geas when they take it. Most PC's count on it. Even the most casual reading of Irish & Celtic and Germanic myth reveals that this is not the case...

The Lunars are VERY good at finding things out. I'm very sure that they investigated the Household of Death thoroughly as it was one of Sartar's trump cards. If you know a man's geasa, you know how to destroy him. Its all a matter of making it happen.