Re: Hsunchen : What do they look like

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:32:05 -0700

At 03:12 PM 4/6/2001 -0000, you wrote:
>I've some questions about the Hsunchen people

Please consult
http://www.glorantha.com/library/hsunchen.html

Also: YGMV. In most cases the answers to these questions depend only upon the story you want to tell with/about them. Use whatever model makes you and your players feel most comfortable.

>I've considered IMG that they are not human beings, and told my
>players so. It gives them another perspective that 'these dangerous
>guys running in the woods', but it raises a few questions :

Some are animals that turn into human beings. Some are human beings that turn into animals. Some are both animals and humans.
Some are neither animal nor human, but hsunchen.

The precise attitude of the people varies. Among some hsunchen all of the above are found among them, spread along like a spectrum of possibilities. For other peoples only one of the above may apply. In some peoples they are divided into smaller groups which belive one of the above. In other hsunchen the small groups have people from any or all of the above.

>Mostly, what do they look like ? ... But do
>these Yak-people look like kralori or not ?
See the text, but they generally appear to be the same as the other people around them.

>Do they have non-human features, even in 'human' form ? The Basmoli
>have some I think (leonine eyes, etc.), but they're not Hsunchen?
Certainly some do, especially if they are at the critter end of the spectrum.

>So, do Telmori have yellow or pale blue eyes ? Might some
>reinder-hsunchen have strange feet or horizontally slitted eyes ? (if
>yes, are these ones considered holy or not ?)
Up to you to decide.
But nothing in my Glorantha would prohibit this.

>Can hsunchen breed with humans or are they that far away that it's
>not >possible?

Sure, some can and some can't. Can anyone put up the url for Tom Zunder's article about Basmoli? If not, Tom, can I put it up on ours?

> If that's possible (IMG No, but then the PCs can be
>wrong), >is there a 'dilution of hsunchenness' ?
These are the kinds of things that are debated every day in Glorantha. I am sure that we could find examples of both positive and negative answers.

>And is being Hsunchen inherent or a question of culture ? (nature vs
>nurture ?)

Nature, but nurture is needed to "make it work right."

>Can a human baby raised in a telmori pack be accepted by
>Telmor and afterwards use hsunchen magic and adopt wolf-form ?
Raised and accepted? No. Initiated and altered? Yes.

>And in
>the opposite, will a Hsunchen baby raised by a strange orlanthi
>family >exhibit animal features and spontaneously talk to wolf spirits ?
Especially as a child before he has been initiated and "locked into" his magic perceptions and expressions.

>On the same subject, could two different hsunchen persons have
>children ? (by different, I mean different animal totems)
Yes, it happens all the time.
When the child reaches a certain age his or her inherent characteristics are becoming apparent and they are raised within the traditions of the appropriate parent.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>