rape and cannibalism

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:37:44 EDT

Various folk on this:
<< << Will a regular rapist slowly become a Broo ? >>

      It's possible, IMO. Again, it would really have to be 'regular'.

 << If it is possible, how come warbands or lunar troops are not affected? Can
 a Wyter or Vexilla protect its members from this kind of consequences? >>

      To a limited extent, perhaps. But do it enough, and you'll attract  Thed's attention sooner or later. >>

Well my view is that rape and cannibalism lead to transformation into chaotic creatures only if they are performed for that purpose, not if simply an atrocity. For me, it would be a gameworld construct and not at all 'realistic' if soliders or warriors committed no atrocities for fear of turning into broo. In everything I've read on war, atrocity happens, including cannibalism at times but rape is very common.

In my PargAddi campaign, the Imperial terror troops actually have names for the different levels of atrocity they commit, because for them, it is relatively routine. It is an instrument of policy, as it was for the Assyrians and as it was and _is_ for many peoples around the world now.

But hey, I like the feeling of military verisimilitude in my games and so have no problem with running this kind of thing, but its not everyones cuppa tea so YGMV.

Martin Laurie