Re: just cannibalism

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 13:01:28 -0500 (CDT)

Stephen says:

> Presumably cannibalism for *any* Praxian would be a breach of Waha's
> Compromise: people eat animals, animals eat plants. People who eat
> people are breaking that rule, and might find that they can no longer
> eat animal flesh, or that their beasts can no longer eat the chaparral
> vegetation and so starve to death.
>
> As a side issue, remember that Praxians have access to magic that can
> turn a person into an animal, and therefore a suitable meal...

That's not cannibalism, though, not even if it was your father. Which is I suppose, one reason that the Heortlings and other neighbors of the Praxians find them not so appealing or downright disgusting. So how do Praxians feel about vegetables? They must eat some, but a diet low in meat is the sign of an oasis dweller or an animal. The Orlanthi offer water first and meat fourth when greeting; I can imagine Praxians reversing the order -- meat is plentiful, and water is precious. So an Orlanthi among the Praxians might be shocked to be offered meat but not water. It's the little things that cause the most grief.

Keith Nellist says some things about Morokanth thumbs:

Gotta watch those anthropomorphic references. Just like Uz probably don't say "I see what you mean," and being called a "great humanitarian" is not praise for a Mostali (of course, what would they do with praise anyway?). It strikes me that cliche and analogy is another aspect of life that would set Morocanth apart from other Praxians; their experience of their herds is so different from the "norm" that many proverbs wouldn't make sense in a Morocanth context.

Peter Larsen