Re: Subject: rape and cannibalism

From: janjero_at_...
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:42:38 -0000

> The point about chaotic taints produced in this way is they are also
> semi-random. Some guy could commit one dodgy act and get tainted,
another
> could commit hundred and not ... Unlike other Gloranthan processes
chaos
> isn't bound by any consistency or fairness.

It is also linked to a thing called "personal responsibility". It allows chaos to enter your soul or not, IMO.

> >In my PargAddi campaign, the Imperial terror troops actually have
names for
> >the different levels of atrocity they commit, because for them, it
is
> >relatively routine. It is an instrument of policy, as it was for
the
> >Assyrians and as it was and _is_ for many peoples around the world
now.

> I think military units acting under orders would be protected to
some
> extent (probably via they wyters).

Discipline and training can make "miracles" even without using wyters/vexilla. RW soldiers can brutally commit genocide just because they are ordered so and they, IMO, do not feel any responsibility because they are ordered to do so.
Do you remember "Code Red" with T Cruise and J Nicholson?

Of course, the fact that they do not feel any responsibility does not mean that they have no responsibility in their actions! But the distinction is very thin and difficult to prove (like many military trials demonstrate).

> >But hey, I like the feeling of military verisimilitude in my games
and so
> >have no problem with running this kind of thing, but its not
everyones cuppa
> >tea so YGMV.
>
> Absolutely! Run your game as you wish.

I always feel conforted by this kind of statements!

Ciao
Gian