Re: Brithini Atheists

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:41:38 +1000

Nick on Brithini:

> They aren't denying that otherworldly phenomena exist, or that they
> appear to give power to practitioners of bizarre foreign rites. They
> simply treat this as irrelevant to themselves. They worship no gods.
> That makes them atheists.

Deists surely, like strict Brahmanists or some Enlightenment philosophers? There's some Thing or some One or some Principle who wound up the cosmic clock and started it all, but only fools and savages waste time in trying to call down intercession. 'Look beyond and soak up the Pattern/Law.'

'Course all I know about the West is what they get up to in their barns, and that most of them eat their sisters. But from the context of the post, in my ignorance what Nick is suggesting didn't sound like atheism/agnosticism.

Praying for Enlightenment

John

nysalor_at_...                 John Hughes

'By day fantastic birds flew through the petrified forests, and jewelled alligators glittered like heraldic salamanders on the banks of the crystalline rivers. By night the illuminated man raced among the trees, his arms like golden cartwheels, his head like a spectral crown.'