Atrocity and such

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:36:35 EDT

Andreas:
<< Thanks Greg! I find the thought of gaming such stuff so repulsive that
> I just can't understand how people can do it.

Its a game and is not real. It is also playing a role. Almost all people who play in RPGs have characters who kill others but in real life they would act quite differently. When I run a game in which the players are part of the Empires terror troop elite's, I expect them to be able to role-play the behaviour that such troops exhibit. I don't expect them to wander off in the RW and start burning villages!

>Just because there are
> "broos" in our world doesn't make it an excuse for including it in a
> fantasy world.

There is no excuse needed for this IMO. For me, and my players, the suspension of disbelief is vital and we are all aware of the nature of humanity, some of us up close and dirty in our jobs. For me to run a game without the dark side of humanity would be like telling half the story. But the stories I tell are usually of war and war without atrocity is a rare thing indeed.

>Our world is sick, let's heal it and not spread the disease to Glorantha.

Glorantha is based on a realistic world view derived from our own experiences. Our history shows that atrocity is ever present in war and conflict. For Glorantha not to reflect that in my game would be missing out on a real (if uncomfortable) side of humanity.

> I for one wants to make my world just like /my/ Glorantha, free from
> even the thoughts of rape and such inhuman bestiality.

I would contend that rape and other atrocities are all too human and not inhuman in the least. And "beasts" don't rape and very, very few kill for pleasure or ideologies like many humans have done. I suppose its down to choice. I won't run a game with humans in it without the dark side of humanity being present. You won't run a game with the dark side being present. YGMV and what we get out of it is up to the individual.

>There is conflicts enough for gaming anyway. >>

True, it would be perfectly possible to role-play a game without those kinds of horrors appearing, but such games tend to revolve around less warlike subjects. Given that _I_ like to run games of war and conflict, I feel obliged to make it as realistic as possible both for my own sense of "rightness" and for my players faith in me as a GM. There is no obligation for anyone to do the same. Play it as you will, its your game, not mine!

Martin Laurie