Re: Re: Locaem Tribe (and some questions)

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:05:55 +1000

Tadaaki Kakegawa:

> > BTW, though TR is great product, I slightly disappointed that it
> does
> > not detail dietary culture of Sartarite. What does they eat and
> drink
> > daily ? Any taboos ? IIRC, they don't like eating goat. more?

I did some preparatory work on food and drink for TR, but it became obvious early on that there was way to much material for a single book.

For detailed descriptions on Heortling food and drink, check out the relevant sections at

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/nysalor/ff1.htm

A few quotes from that essay:

Small game, fish and grain porridge (frumenty or pottage) are the staple foods. Meat is a prestige food, (beef especially so) and is usually eaten in relatively small quantities to add flavour. Tubers, gourds, apples, plums, cherries, berries and nuts are plentiful. Cabbage and turnips are the staple potherbs; other staple vegetables include peas, beans, leeks, onions, garlic and chebny, a wild mountain lettuce.

Most meals are some form of stew, soup or pottage cooked in a cauldron over the central hearth of the bloodline lodge, and presided over by a delegate of the senior lodge female. Bread is baked in a clay oven or on a griddle. Flour must either be ground by hand (using a quern), or milled at the stead water mill.

The most common food is a variation on 'pottage'; a soup or stew made from barley, linseed, knotweed and other plants, grains and vegetables, thickened till it is almost solid. Meat or fish might be added, or sheep's milk and honey to sweeten it.

Puddings are made of (pigs) blood, stirred to stop it congealing and seasoned with flour and herbs.

White bread is rare; brown rye bread is most common. Mixed grain breads are called 'maislin'. Beans, peas and even (in times of famine) acorns are used to make bread. Weed seeds often get mixed with the grain, and some of these can be quite poisonous.

Cheese is consumed in great amounts. It is hard, strongly flavoured, and often full of hair and maggots.

In the warmer months, pike of up to 20 kg are caught regularly. Roaches average 2 kg, dace 1 kg, perch 3 kg and chub 4 kg. The entire clan takes to the mountain streams when the salmon run begins in Sea Season.

Meat is most common in Fire and Earth Season, when herd culling takes place and game is most plentiful. Killing also takes place during Dark Season, depending on the depletion of winter fodder. Many kills also take place before the Orlanthi High Holy Day and Sacred Time, times of Celebration in seasons of scarcity and hunger. A clan carefully lays aside precious resources to celebrate these events.

The essay also explores animal raising and crops.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                 John Hughes

'By day fantastic birds flew through the petrified forests, and jewelled alligators glittered like heraldic salamanders on the banks of the crystalline rivers. By night the illuminated man raced among the trees, his arms like golden cartwheels, his head like a spectral crown.'