Heortling Prayer (was atheists in Glorantha)

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:01:13 +1000

>David Dunham wrote:

 > Then a soulless Meldek comes along and says your god isn't really a
> god. Really annoying, and even though he has no god at all, he isn't
> struck down by lightning. How does he do it? What secret protection
> does he have?

David's example got me thinking about Heortling prayer.

Given Heortling culture, there will be none of this going off in a corner and meekly asking the Storm Lord for help. Prayer occurs in public, at sacrifices and rites where the gods' attention is focussed enough to hear you. It will go along the lines of

  1. boasting how much you've done, and how much you've incarnated the Storm.
  2. telling Orlanth you don't need his help, as you and your kinsman can sort out any wrong, for we follow the example of Orlanth who fixed the world.
  3. Reminding Orlanth that he is King, and if he wishes to send assistance or advice in any form, we won't look down on it, even if we don't really need it, because it is good to listen to one's elders.

Private prayer is rare - Gods don't see such small things. Being human though, it will probably happen from time to time - even if Orlanth doesn't hear, some storm daemon or other friendly power might. It too will be shouted aloud, and be along the lines of - "I don't need your help, I'm of the Storm Tribe, I can do it, I have the strength". Perhaps in extremis, you might shout a reminder that you are a kinsman of the gods, and that you're in trouble deep. (Translation: no man can watch while a kinsman suffers - tradition demands your help).

Getting back to David's example, the Heortling ethos wouldn't expect the God to bolt the sorcerer down - Orlanth expects every man to do his duty, and you carry a sword don't you? It's up to *you* to correct this wriggling hole in the universe. Not in town though... invite him to your stead to see the real power of Orlanth's blade. Or is there another way?

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

Aussie Zen: The Noble Eightfold Righteous Path

 Right of way; right as rain; too right; dead right; about right;  sitting right; bang to rights; and she'll be right.