RE: Re: Runegate Questions

From: Richard, Jeff <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:19:45 -0700

Hi -

>It may be a misnomer in that there are no Hyalorings any more but
IMO
>it may be important to understand the Hyaloring triachy that the
>clans may claim Hyaloring ancestry. They may be proud of it and
have

>traditions associated with that ancestry that differentiate them
from

>the other Heortling clans in Dragon Pass. The may have been
colonists

>from the north not from Heortland. 'Racism' may be part of the
reason

>why the Hiordings join with the displaced Varmandi in attacking
them.

Ian, I partially agree with you and partially disagree. The "Hyaloring Triarchy" of Runegate claim descent from Beren the Rider and Hyalor Horsebreaker. Here's some background information from the Fall of the House of Malan LARP (it doesn't reveal any big game secrets, so don't worry anyone :):

        "You are the third king of the Hyaloring Triarchy. This is a confederation of three clans that only marry within the Triarchy. Your ancestor Janalagor led the Enhyli, the Lonisi, and the Narri from their homeland in north Esrolia into the Quivini wilds. Fearsome horsedemons challenged your grandfather but he stole their secrets and proved that he was the true descendent of Hyalor Elmalsson. The tribes settled around RuneGate Fort, an impenetrable fortress guarded by magic and spirits."

        "The Hyalorings hold Elmal to be their patron and protector. Orlanth is worshipped as a powerful war and storm god. This sets you apart from the other Quivini tribes. Refusing to marry outside of the Triarchy, doesn't help either. Still, your tribe's many horsemen are strong and well respected, and your horses are without equal."

If I were to rewrite this, I would throw in an additional sentence about Beren the Rider and Redalda the Horse Goddess. Just from this little blurb, one can see that the Runegate Hyalorings are different from the other Quivini clans. For what it is worth, I think that the horse-riding thanes of these clans have a much more aristocratic role in clan life than is the norm - they are heavily armed, well-equipped horse cavalry that form the shock troops for the clan.

That being said, the Runegate Hyalorings are Third Age Heortling Orlanthi, not Dawn Age Sairdite Hyalorings. They don't worship Jajagappa, they don't raise dogs, their Red Woman is Vinga - Hwarin Dalthippa has nothing on them!

This distinction is important and cannot be restated often enough for the simple fact that we, as Gloranthan scholars, know far more about Dawn Age Hyalorings than do the Runegate Hyalorings. The Runegate clans do not know that distant kinsmen of Beren the Rider became Emperors of Dara Happa - they certainly do not acknowledge any kinship with the Grazers.

>Jeff Richard's web site material suggests to me that he sees
>Hyaloring's as having 'foreign' customs as well:
>http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/todp/quivini.html
>though I think that c;lans claiming Hyaloring ancestry are from
North

>of Dragon Pass, not north Esrolia (thought I'm not sure if this is
>waht Jeff Richards is implying).

That is what I am implying - I actually think that the Runegate clans came from northern Esrolia (from the grasslands northeast of the what is now the Building Wall), not Peloria. I don't think that they are Esrolian - just that when their ancestors fled Dragonkill, they settled in the grasslands just south of the Stone Cross.

I've been trying to dig up my notes from my Taming of Dragon Pass campaign on the Taraling War. I think it is a sacred hill, but I could be misremembering things. What I have dug up suggests that the Varmandi allied with the Hiordings against the Lonisi, not because of any "racism" but because the Varmandi were seeking lands after being forced out of Ormsthane Vale. The Hiordings supported the Varmandi against the Lonisi, since it was better than having the Varmandi seek lands along the Swan River.

        Jeff