Re: Heortling Prayer (was atheists in Glorantha)

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:08:22 -0700

At 12:01 PM 4/12/2001 +1000, you wrote:
John Hughes said

>David's example got me thinking about Heortling prayer.
>
>Given Heortling culture, there will be none of this going off in a corner
>and meekly asking the Storm Lord for help. Prayer occurs in public, at
>sacrifices and rites where the gods' attention is focussed enough to hear
>you. It will go along the lines of

I agree with your insight on the public ceremonies. As always, John speaks Heortling truths again.

>Private prayer is rare

I disagree on this.
If a devotee is spending 60% of his time in devotional duties then he will absolutely have private devotions to perform while he does his job. The ONLY WAY that most Heortling can be devotees is if their daily job overlaps their religion, so they pray while they fights, farm or weave. Most of them will be carrying on this personal relationship with their deity. The Heortling's personal relationship to this imminant deity is what makes devotion possible among them at all. (Many cults elsewhere do not have devotees at all, many have no subcults to become initiated into, some have devotees that are always supported by external means (ie- they do not have the fortune to be able to practice their religious and their occupation as one, like the Heortlings.)

Also note that the annual Ancestor worship is rather in between the huge loud public worship and the personal, individual method.

>"I don't need your help, I'm of
>the Storm Tribe, I can do it, I have the strength".
I think it is more like, "I am the Lord Orlanth, be strong, breath deep" over and over, for a devotee. Or whatever deity is worshipped of course. I don't think that the prayers to activate Feats are much different from the personal prayers.

>Getting back to David's example, the Heortling ethos wouldn't expect the God
>to bolt the sorcerer down - Orlanth expects every man to do his duty, and
>you carry a sword don't you? It's up to *you* to correct this wriggling hole

Yes, you and your kin. Or your sworn companions. Or your chief.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>