RE: Heortling Prayer (was atheists in Glorantha)

From: Richard, Jeff <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:35:42 -0700

Greg:

>>Private prayer is rare
>I disagree on this.
>If a devotee is spending 60% of his time in devotional duties then
he will

>absolutely have private devotions to perform while he does his job.
The

>ONLY WAY that most Heortling can be devotees is if their daily job
overlaps

>their religion, so they pray while they fights, farm or weave.

For what it is worth, I think that these daily activities are wrought with ritual significance and certainly can be acts of worship. Fer instance, Barntar and/or Durev showed men the rites of plowing - when men plow in accordance to the Barntar Rites, they are performing an act of devotion to Barntar or Durev. Weaving as well - for what it is worth, in much of small town America, church weaving groups are commonplace.

        Jeff