Vinga and Elmal Horsie Quest [Fwd: Re: Pegasi]

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:49:42 -0400

A repost of an earlier article...

Jeff

Robert McArthur wrote:
> Hmm, I don't quite see how you can do a heroquest to lose something
> you haven't got.

If you decide to do an other-side HQ, you'll be travelling into the Period Before Time. In that time, your horse, being an offspring of the original Hippogriff, will not have gone through the events where the wings, claws and fangs were lost. Your horse's (an offspring of Hippogriff) true being is not without any trace of them, they were merely removed from him before his birth. Thus, when entering the Period Before Time, and approaching the situation where the loss took place, your horse will assume the form horses had then - that of the Hippogriff.
At least this is how I understand heroplane/godplane HQs.

> Unless you have a Pegasus already, and want to
> get a horse, surely this HQ wouldn't be of use? If you take a
> horse on it, which hasn't (in some way) the ability to *fly*
> (not just have wings glued on it), the ability to *run* and
> *claw* (precluding stuck on talons since it'd be *very* hard to
> run with them :-), and the ability to take massive
> bites out of things (can't see _how_ you could pretend that one),
> then the horse can't play the part of a Hippogriff even in pretend
> mode.

Practise runs aren't all that serious - For fangs, you could tie large teeth to the horse's reins (if you use them) or you could paint large teeth on the horse's jaws. Probably the horse, or hippogriff, won't actually need to bite anything - and if it does, it'll probably inflict more damage than usual, since it *does* have fangs! Sure, they're painted on, but that's what makes heroquesting so wonderful - it's the thought that counts!

Since you couldn't actually change the physical appearance of your horse on a practise run (the outcome, that is), you could just as well glue on wings, or even paint or tattoo them. If you accomplish the quest without your hippogriff losing it's wings, the marks might become permanent, and your horse might gain the feat Jump Really Long Distances. It won't be flight, but you did only do the practise run version...

> All the HQ I've heard of are when you lose things you
> already have, or gain things like you're emulating (eg. gain fire).
> Since Hippogriff lost things, you'd have to find the HQ in which
> hippogriff originally gained it's wings - that may even stretch
> back to the original Hippogriff creation saga
> which is probably a nastier HQ since it's 'further back'. IMHO.

Well, just redoing the quest where hippogriff gains it's wings (if there even exists one) won't negate the later events, where he loses them. Re-enacting Yelmalios birth (becoming the family of yelm) won't stop Zorak Zoran from stealing his fire powers, right?

This also goes to show that entering the god-time before losing something will grant you those powers, until you lose them. Otherwise, no yelmalians could participate in the Hill of Gold heroquest, because them having nothing for ZZ to steal would screw up everything, and that would make it God-learner stuff or something else evil. =)

-B