Re: Battles in Herowars

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:45:02 +0200

Terry Harvey-Chadwick :

> Question: What's the most figures you've ever used in a roleplaying game?
> Can anyone beat 150?

I love to run battles using RPG rules instead of wargaming ones, but the highest I've ever reached with an out-of-the-box is about 100, with RQ2 and the amazingly cool Munchrooms scenario from Trollpak.

More recently I ran the Cradle with my own home-grown stuff, using about 300 figures (but I dont own so many figures, and most of them were actually li'l square cardboard thingees).

I don't think I've ever seen more than 75-85 figures on the table in standard RPGing. And this was high-level D&D, which I'm not sure actually counts as "roleplaying" per se.

> In the old RQII, I did a
> similar thing, but with half the numbers, and it took three nights.

We managed to do Munchrooms in a single session : it's an extremely well-designed scenario (with RQ2, anyway) ! :-)

> Everyone had a good time

I've found that this is the usual problem with running battles in most RPGs : usually, about half of the players end up getting bored. Not so with HW !

Julian Lord