RE: Re: How Eurmal Lost His Stick

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:22:44 +0100

On Monday, April 16, 2001 9:02 PM, bethexton_at_... [SMTP:bethexton_at_...] wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Another myth. I hope you like it.
>
> Ah. Um. Ahem. Very, uh, good.
>
> However, I kindly ask you not to write it up as a heroquest.

I honestly don't think I will. :)

I've been thinking about Eurmali heroquests of late. I have a feeling that some tricksters are "coerced" into going on some heroquests by the clan chief who protects them. These particular quests are ones that will benefit the clan to the detriment of the trickster. They provide a means for making the trickster a scapegoat for whatever the clan needs help with.

I suspect this is why clans and chiefs put up with tricksters. You can cajole/coerce/threaten them into going on "Eurmal Takes The Blame" type heroquests.

I have an idea for a "Eurmal Gets A Hangover" myth/quest - the trickster who completes the quest gets worse hangovers while the folk who "support" him get less severe ones. Not exactly world-saking, but I know times when I would have given anything for that sort of benefit. :)

Regards,

Bruce