Re: Re: How Eurmal Lost His Stick

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:58:45 -0400

Bruce Ferrie wrote:

> On Monday, April 16, 2001 9:02 PM, bethexton_at_...
> >
> > However, I kindly ask you not to write it up as a heroquest.
>
> I honestly don't think I will. :)
>
> I've been thinking about Eurmali heroquests of late. I have a feeling
> that some
> tricksters are "coerced" into going on some heroquests by the clan
> chief who
> protects them. These particular quests are ones that will benefit the
> clan to
> the detriment of the trickster. They provide a means for making the
> trickster a
> scapegoat for whatever the clan needs help with.

Actually, scapegoat is the perfect word for it. And I think they don't even need heroquests (I'm not letting the trickster wander off alone with OUR magic) but can be done with rituals. I start to suspect that the bigger rituals are takign the place of the 'static heroquest' we used to have in RQ.

> I suspect this is why clans and chiefs put up with tricksters. You can
>
> cajole/coerce/threaten them into going on "Eurmal Takes The Blame"
> type
> heroquests.

Yep. That's why we keep ours around...

> I have an idea for a "Eurmal Gets A Hangover" myth/quest - the
> trickster who
> completes the quest gets worse hangovers while the folk who "support"
> him get
> less severe ones. Not exactly world-saking, but I know times when I
> would have
> given anything for that sort of benefit. :)
>
> Regards,

Why not just join Geo's cult? They made him a hero for his 'cure hangover of everyone in room' feat. =)

Jeff