More Rosemary Sutcliff

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:11:59 -0000

A while ago there was a thread discussing "The Eagle of the Ninth" and books by Rosemary Sutcliff in general. At the time I had a nagging feeling that there was another book by her that was even more relevant to the Sartar situation. I'd read her books 20 years or more ago, however, so I wanted to be sure before saying anything.

Well I finally managed to get a few minutes of peace at the library (I'm usually there with with our hyperkinetic three year old), and my memory was right. I strongly recommend a read of "The Shield Ring" to anyone playing a Sartarite campaign. It is based on a ragged group of descendants of norse settlers who have fled the normans to their last fastness in the northern hills of england. They've all seen family and friends lost, either in fighting the normans or in the norman's massive revenge for every attack. And now the final battles approach.... Sound familiar?

--Bryan