RE: Re: How Eurmal Lost His Stick

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:15:32 +0100

On Tuesday, April 17, 2001 1:06 PM, Jeff [SMTP:jeff.kyer_at_...] wrote:

> A causal reading of any series of trickster myths from Hermes or Loki,
> say to Coyote or Old Man Spider shows that most of the time the
> Trickster ends up being caught in his own games, often with rather
> drastic/painful results.

That's right. Trickster's biggest victim is always himself. Particularly when he gets comfortable with a new trick or thing and becomes overconfident, or when he gets greedy and forgets what little common sense he had in the first place.

> Eurmal is just getting more of the same. I suppose I'm just glad to
> see a Trickster motif in an RPG that isn't funny-stupid or
> funny-annoying like, forexample, Malkavians or the like. I don't
> think I'd want to be an Eurmali and I don't think I'd like my sister
> to marry one... =) Being Trickster is, in many ways, a curse.

My new character will be a trickster, who will be more sinister than funny. Immoderate, selfish and prone to getting herself and the other heroes into trouble. But I *really* want to avoid doing a "funny" character.

And the Bondsman's Oath should make sure that she stays under control (at least to an extent, <grin>) and doesn't become too disruptive and spoil the other players' fun. Which is the biggest danger with that sort of character.

Tricksters are like carpets. You should take them out in the fresh air regularly and beat them.

Regards,

Bruce