Re: atheists in Glorantha, from Greg

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:36:55 -0000

> The Brithini certainly acknowledge the existence of gods, spirits
and
> demons of all types. Over the millennia of their existence they have
> developed spells against every one of those foes.
> I labelled the Brithini "atheists" because they have never
uncovered any
> evidence that can be proved to be anything other than a natural
law. Their
> knowledge was established by superior beings of a previous age and
the
> modern Brithini follow those ancient instructions now.
> They do not have a God, but a force. They do not worship God, or
even
> worship at all. Hence atheists.
> They consider the other Malkioni to be deluded by personifying the
creative
> energy, etc.

Hmm, I see. Could a (loose) analogy be drawn between the (Gloranthan) theists and a cargo cult? They have had a "superior power" fall into their laps, which they can use but not necessarily fully comprehend, and hence personify to make comprehensible? From the perspective of Gloranthan atheists, of course. In this schema the Malkioni would be a similar cult with a "better" understanding of this power, which they abstract (correctly) further than theists, but still (incorrectly) tend to personify or at least attribute with emotion such as compassion. The atheists then work directly with the prevailing an objectively extant "theoscape" without being distracted by projecting their own expectations onto the true forces (runes?). Does that sound about right?

Hmm - I might also guess that the much-maligned God Learners role here is something akin to carrying out formal experimental method on the theoscape?

> >> The Brithini and Zzaburi don't believe in an afterlife, either.
> >Hmm. Why not? do they not recognise the existance of the hero
planes?
> Some living Brithini remember being alive in the times when other
people
> have to go to the Hero Plane. But I think you mean Sorcery Plane
here.

Sorry, no, I meant the god planes - even with the whopping alien worlds modifier, could they not cross to the god planes and interact with the "dead" who have been so elevated? Or perhaps they would see this as something like a postmortem echo rather than an actual continuation after death?