Re: How Eurmal Stole the Lawstaff

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:40:48 -0400

Not bad! Not bad at all.

Bo Rosen wrote:

> This is my first attempt at mythmaking.
>
> --
>
> How Eurmal stole the Lawstaff.

This is a bad thing. Very bad...

> This happened once when Orlanth was away from the tula fighting the
> Fire
> Tribe. He had left Elmal in charge of things while he was away and
> asked
> Vinga to help guard the stead as he was taking the other Thunder
> Brothers with him.
> After a while Barntar and Odayla came to Elmal asking for his ruling
> about a piece of land.
>
> Barntar spoke first;
> "Sun Thane, the fire tribe has burnt my fields and nothing will grow
> there now. We have rich lands, but Odayla won't let me cut down the
> trees to make more fields. Must our people starve because he wants to
> hunt?"
>
> Then Odayla spoke;
> "Sun Thane, we need large forests to hunt in or the game will go
> elsewhere. We don't need more fields, but more hunters would bring in
> more game."

And hightlights an age-old tension in the Storm Tribe between the various providers.

> When Orlanth went away Eurmal thought he could get away with his
> tricks
> easier, so he had sneaked into Orlanth's stead disguised as a mouse

Mouse or Rat? =) The thought of Velet Bolter as a trickster avatar is quite... disquieting.

Someday, I'd like to see a myth where Eurmal (or someone) does get the better of Vinga. Someday.

> He explained about the grain and that he had a new solution.
> "I will ask Heler to wash away the burnt soil and water the grain.
> That
> should make the fields good again."
> Barntar and Odayla were both happy with the wise decision and were
> sorry

Fixing problems. A cardinal Orlanthi virtue.

> the Lawstaff and she kept beating him with it.

There's probably a moral in beating up someone with a lawstaff. It might damage it...

> Vinga was not surpised when she heard what Elmal had done and said
> "You
> brough the lawstaff when you came to us, but you also brought
> youself."

Not sure what the moral of the finale is though?

Jeff