Re: How Eurmal Stole the Lawstaff

From: Bo Rosén <bo.rosen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:24:42 -0000

Thanks!

> Mouse or Rat? =) The thought of Velet Bolter as a trickster avatar is
> quite... disquieting.

Oops, rat.

> Someday, I'd like to see a myth where Eurmal (or someone) does get the
> better of Vinga. Someday.

I'm sure there is one featuring Elmal. She tries to unsettle him with various off-colour jokes and taunts, but using his steadfastness (boneheadedness according to her) he rides out the storm as it were, driving her into a frustrated retreat. Much to the amusement of everyone else.

> There's probably a moral in beating up someone with a lawstaff. It might
> damage it...

Well, it was handy and she was angry. She probably only whacked him a bit.

> > Vinga was not surpised when she heard what Elmal had done and said
> > "You
> > brough the lawstaff when you came to us, but you also brought
> > youself."
>
> Not sure what the moral of the finale is though?

Actually, it is a bit left from the first draft, I posted the second. I originally wanted a myth about Vinga and Elmal cooperating and her comment was meant to suggest that Elmal didn't need the Lawstaff since he was Just in himself. It was Vingas acceptance of Elmal. I know I'm mixing Justice and Law here.
However, the story morphed on me while I wrote it. It certainly needs cleaning up. I actually think I have several different potential myths in here.

The crops fail and the farmers and hunters are in disageement on how to solve it. Heler brings his fertility to the wasted fields and everyone lives happily ever after.

Elmal makes a bad call but has learned to do things the orlanthi way and fixes it.

Eurmal gets the blame.

Elmal and Vinga recognize the value of each other's ways.

Cheers,

       Bo