RE: Happy Easter

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:25:25 -0500

Gaeth Martin says:

>As a broader question, I'm not sure what the "point" of malkioni veneration
>is. After re-reading much of HW Malkioni thought, I have some trouble
>understanding why Malkioni bother with veneration. It appears only
>distantly, or un-, related to sorcery proper. The only effect the
>venerators gain, it would appear, is automatically providing extraordinary
>support for communal magics. If there is no afterlife for the Malkioni,
>what is the point of their worship, or is simply the magical home defense
>effect?
>
>I am now quite intrigued by Malkioni thought - always wanted an opportunity
>to run a campaign centering around heresy and such. Although, there again -
>if the invisible god is so impersoal, what does heresy matter?

        There's an important distinction I think you're failing to make here -- between the Brithini and "regular" Malkioni. While both philosophies arise from the teachings of Malkion, the atheist Brithini stop with the early teachings of Malkion, while pretty much the whole rest of the Sorcerous world adds some of the Prophet's later teachings, which substantially "humanize" the Invisible God (although nowhere near the level of the Theists' conceptions of their deities) and hold forth the hope of Solace (ie an afterlife). This is a gross oversimplification, but it should do for this crude explaination.

        Anyway, your question has two answers. For the "regular" Malkioni, veneration is worship. It is the spiritual excercise around which their lives, power, and hope of an afterlife center. Additionally, veneration is, in some ways, the power source of the magic that the liturgist directs for the community. Without veneration, there will be no crop blessings, no child blessings, no village blessings, no locust curses, and, in short order, no village. Malkioni society, even the "meritocratic" Loskalmi, is built around the idea of everyone in their place, all the time. And, on Sabbath (pick your term) mornings, that place is in church. So refusing to worship not only reduces the communities power, but it is a stab at the social order itself. Furthermore, only by venerating do you express your righteousness and adherence to Malkion's teaching, which are the keys that get you into Solace (and Joy, if you go for that). Even Hrestol, who broke every Law in the Book, made sure he did so with a Good Heart. Which you can't get, I suspect, if you're skipping church for the hell of it.

        For the Brithini, take all the "feel good" elements out of the above scenario. You "venerate" because that is how you share your (um, energy? will?) with those who have been appointed to direct that power for your good. In the same way that you labor as a Farmer or fight as a Soldier (or rule as a Talar). The process is similar to what the short-lived Malkioni do, but you think of it in different terms. The pay off, for the Brithini, is literal immortality. Follow the Law, and you don't die. You don't need all that polluted individual magic of the theists because you have Sorcerors to use magic for you. I have little idea of what a Brithini "worship service" is like -- group meditation and a reading of the Law? Orwellian "group think" and suprise denunciations from your fellows?

        That's my take on it. No doubt Mr. Trotsky and Mr. Metcalfe will have better, more detailed explainations. A source I've found useful is Nick Brooke's webpage, which has a number of fine essays on Malkioni religion.

Peter Larsen